Confessions of a Public Speaker written by Scott Berkun is one of my favorite books. I am not a public speaker but this book will help you to effectively communicate better (we all speak publicly). I did not put the book down until I was almost finished with it – it is that good. Read from January 21 till the 25th, this book is well-thought out, beautifully written, short and to the point, candid, great illustration and lessons, this book has it all. I picked up this book after reading Berkun’s first book and I actually will not sell this on Amazon. I plan on using this book as a resource the rest of my life. I could go on and on but I will touch on a few great ideas for you.
Things I liked.
- Pg 5 – notice conversations – all people make a mistake around every 10 words
- Pg 5 – Summing up Fight Club: stop trying to be perfect…you will stop taking chances and you will miss tons of learning
- Have an interesting opinion
- Pg 56 – Think deeply about your points
- Make relevant to audience
- Format of book – citations at bottom, books ranked in order, and short and concise chapters
- Do not wing it!
- Pg 85 – set the pace, you have the mic (power)
- Give short detail and outline of speech to give rhythm
- Play the part – be confident, clear, motivated, and entertaining
- Pg 155 – How to make a point (see Animal House Speech, and exercise)
I give this book 10/10